Whether we admit it or not, we all start a new year with high expectations and with that comes a whole lot of change. We’ve all been there – we start the new year with high hopes of what the coming months are going to be and how we’re going to be different this year. Better. As the weeks go by, though, we realise that this isn’t as easy as we thought it would be and we lose our motivation. This seems to happen every year!
But there’s so much information out there, how do you know what’s useful and what isn’t? To save you the trouble, I’ve scoured the internet to find the five most effective ways to ensure that you stick to your New Year’s Resolutions.
1) Be realistic – Don’t set unattainable goals for yourself. If you do, the chance of you actually achieving them is highly unlikely, which will just result in disappointment. So be realistic when setting your goals.
2) Write them down – Having your goals written down creates a sense of accountability. Keeping your goals somewhere visible will act as a reminder of what you’re working towards.
3) Limit your resolutions – Don’t bite off more than you can chew. If you try accomplish too much at once, you’re just setting yourself up for failure. Be selective with your New Year’ Resolutions and work on the ones that mean the most to you.
4) Stay positive – Don’t underestimate the power of positive thinking. If you believe you can, then you will!
5) Forgive yourself – Let’s be real, we aren’t perfect and we’re probably going to stumble along the way. That’s okay. Don’t let it discourage you. Acknowledge your slip up and use it as a lesson for moving forward.
I hope you found this useful, but either way, I’d love to hear your thoughts. I’ve also created a humorous YouTube video highlighting common New Year’s resolution expectations versus reality. You should definitely give it a watch.
Good luck for the year ahead. Remember that if you are determined enough, then you will succeed.