We’ve all been there – a casual night out with friends turns into a night of absolute debauchery. It’s all good and well in the moment, but the next morning we feel as if we’re on death’s doorstep. Headache. Nausea. Fatigue. As horrible as a hangover feels, we never seem to learn. Everyone has their own best remedies for how to cure a hangover so I’ve asked around, read up on the topic and put together surefire ways to help you conquer any hangover.
1. Avoid Coffee – Coffee and some teas contain caffeine which dehydrates you. That’s the opposite of what you want to be doing! Caffeinated drinks will narrow your blood vessels and boost your blood pressure, which won’t help your headache.
2. Drink Water – Alcohol dehydrates your body, being the main cause of your discomfort. Drink as much water as you can to rehydrate and flush out your system.
3. Drink Sports Drinks – Sports drinks contain electrolytes which will re-hydrate you quicker.
4. Greasy Foods – Although there is no scientific reason behind why greasy food should help alleviate the pain of a hangover, many people swear by it. Greasy/oily foods are not a good idea if you’re feeling nauseous. But, getting food in your system is a good idea to give your body the nutrients that it is missing.
5. Visit the Gym – If you can manage a light workout, then you should visit the gym. Exercise will work your muscles to alleviate aches and get your metabolism going. Or if you can’t manage that then you should consider sweating out the toxins in the sauna.
6. “Hair of the Dog” – Some will encourage you to drink more to cure your hangover, but this is only a short-term fix. Drinking more alcohol will just delay your recovery, and you’ll probably just end up suffering from an even worse hangover.
7. Vitamins – You’ve essentially poisoned your body so loading up on vitamins will help get your body back to normal. Bananas and potatoes, in particular, are high in potassium that will have you feeling better in no time.
8. Dry Food – Eating dry food such as toast or crackers or drinking ginger tea/ginger ale will help settle your stomach.
9. Sweet Drinks – Drinking tea with honey or sugary drinks will help balance your blood sugar levels.
10. Sleep – If you can sleep in the next day – do it. Your body is probably sleep deprived because of your big night out. Sleep as much as you can to catch up on the shuteye you’ve missed out on and to allow your body to heal itself.
Of course, prevention is the best cure, but let’s face it, drinking can be fun. Just make sure that you drink responsibly.
Too lazy to read the post? You can watch it here:
Life is all about balance – don’t you agree? Read my thoughts on the topic here: How To Maintain A Healthy Balance